Favourite fantasy stories for school-age children. Compiled by the Children’s Services Staff at Monroe County Public Library
1. The Thickety: A Path Begins by J. A . White
When twelve-year-old Kara discovers her mother’s grimoire in the dangerous forest, she must decide if she’ll use it, even though such magic is forbidden.
2. Knight’s Castle by Edward Eager
3. Dealing With Dragons by Patricia C. Wrede
4. The Monsters of Morley Manor by Bruce Coville
5. Echo: A Novel by Pam Muñoz Ryan
Lost in the Black Forest, Otto meets three mysterious sisters and finds himself entwined in a prophecy, a promise, and a harmonica — and decades later three children find themselves caught up in the same thread of destiny in the darkest days of the twentieth century, struggling to keep their families intact, and tied together by the music of the same harmonica.
6. A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin
7. The Sea of Trolls by Nancy Farmer
8. The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud
Nathaniel, a magician’s apprentice, summons up the djinni Bartimaeus and instructs him to steal the Amulet of Samarkand from the powerful magician Simon Lovelace.
9. The Dark Is Rising by Susan Cooper
10. The Magician’s Boy by Susan Cooper
11. Princeless. 1, Save Yourself by Jeremy Whitley
Princess Adrienne is tired of being locked in a tower, waiting around to be rescued by a prince. She escapes from the tower with the help of her guardian dragon, Sparky, and with her plucky sidekick Bedelia, Adrienne sets off on a quest to rescue her sisters who are suffering the same fate.
12. Airborn by Kenneth Oppel
13. Thora: A Half-Mermaid Tale by Gillian Johnson
14. The Silver Bowl by Diane Stanley
15. Breadcrumbs by Anne Ursu
16. Savvy by Ingrid Law
17. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl
18. Where the Mountain Meets the Moon by Grace Lin
19. The Land of Stories: The Wishing Spell by Chris Colfer
Through the mysterious powers of a cherished book of stories, twins Alex and Conner leave their world behind and find themselves in a foreign land full of wonder and magic where they meet the fairy tale characters they grew up reading about. (See the sequel: The Enchantress Returns.)
20. Tangle of Knots by Lisa Graff
Destiny leads 11-year-old Cady to a peanut butter factory, a family of children searching for their own Talents, and a Talent Thief who will alter her life forever. Includes cake recipes.
21. Inkheart by Cornelia Funke
22. The New Kid at School by Kate McMullan
23. Going Overboard! by Nancy Krulik
Katie’s vacation aboard a cruise ship sounds wonderful, but the magic wind throws everything off-course when it turns her first into a dolphin and then into a renowned chocolate chef. (Part of the Katie Kazoo, Switcheroo series.)
24. Confessions of an Imaginary Friend by Michelle Cuevas
When Jacques Papier discovers he’s imaginary, he sets off on a journey to find his true home.
25. The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman
26. Moonsilver by Kathleen Duey
27. The Princess in Black by Shannon Hale
Who says princesses don’t wear black? When trouble raises its blue monster head, Princess Magnolia ditches her flouncy dresses and becomes the Princess in Black!
28. The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan
29. The Shadows by Jacqueline West
When eleven-year-old Olive and her distracted parents move into an old Victorian mansion, Olive finds herself ensnared in a dark plan involving some mysterious paintings, a trapped and angry nine-year-old boy, and three talking cats. (First in The Books of Elsewhere series.)
30. The Book of Three by Alexander Lloyd
31. Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer
32. Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett
33. The Littles by John Peterson
34. Howl’s Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones
35. Knights of the Kitchen Table by Jon Scieszka
36. Heidi Heckelbeck Has a Secret by Wanda Coven
After being homeschooled her whole life, Heidi Heckelbeck enters a real school in second grade, where she encounters a mean girl named Melanie who makes her feel like an alien. (First in the Heidi Heckelbeck series.)
37. Trolls Go Home! by Alan MacDonald
Categories: Literature & Fiction